Helko Werk Pack Axe
What we think
The Black Forest Pack Axe is compact, lightweight, and easy to carry while trekking through the wilderness. It is beautifully crafted with a traditional wide bit German woodworker blade.
- Outdoor: Axes
- Brand: Helko Werk
The Black Forest Pack Axe is compact, lightweight, and easy to carry while trekking through the wilderness. It is beautifully crafted with a traditional wide bit German woodworker blade. These axes are made in Wuppertal, Germany, near the country’s famous Rhein River Valley. The Rhein is one of Germany’s most prominent geographical features, and has been a historically significant source of trade and growth for civilisations in the region for centuries. Cutting axes like these were a daily necessity for people carving out towns and villages in heavily forested areas along the river. The wide blade makes this axe exceptionally well suited for cutting work, and its compact size makes it a highly versatile and dependable packing tool. While this axe is most efficient at cutting, it will capably handle the splitting work required by your wilderness adventure. Comes with our standard top grain American cowhide 6-7oz leather adjustable sheath.
• C45 high grade carbon steel
• Open die drop forged by hand, heat treated, and oil-hardened
• Approximately 53-56HRC (Rockwell)
• Hand ground and sharpened bit / blade
• ‘Helko’ crown mark hammered into cheek
• Crafted in Switzerland from Grade ‘A’ American hickory
• Individually selected for grain orientation and density
• Hand finished with boiled linseed oil
• Traditionally hung using softwood wedge and round steel ring wedge